- WHAT'S NEW
- ABOUT US
- OUR PROGRAMS
- HOW YOU CAN HELP
- CONTACT US
Recipe: Farmers Market Gazpacho
This is a great way to take advantage of your local farmers market during the summer.
This recipe is low maintenance and can sit a few days. Plus, you can substitute ingredients easily. Pick your favorite tomatoes, hot peppers, herbs and vegetables. You really can’t go wrong.
- 1 large green Zucchini
- 1 sweet Onion such as a large Cipollini or a small Vidalia
- 1 small Bell Pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 2 large Beef Steak Tomatoes
- ½ Jalapeno (seeded)
- 1 pint of Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 cups California grown Tomato Juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt and White Pepper
- Garnish: fresh Basil and Parmesan Cheese
- Cut the zucchini into long thick strips, slice the peeled onions into thick rounds, and remove the seeds from the bell pepper and quarter.
- Mix all the vegetables together in a bowl and toss with ¼ cup olive oil along with 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper and the thyme. Grill all the vegetables until soft and charred on the outside. Put in a bowl and wrap with plastic wrap until cool.
- Chop the beef steak tomatoes and jalapeno, and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Add to a medium bowl with the tomato juice and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, ½ tbsp salt, and ½ tsp white pepper.
- Fill a food processor half way up with the tomato mixture and puree. Then add some of the grilled vegetables and pulse until pureed. Pour into a serving bowl and repeat till everything is pureed. IMPORTANT: If you desire a chunky, more rustic gazpacho, puree only half of the grilled vegetables and chop the rest and add to the pureed base.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with some fresh sliced basil and shaved (not grated!) parmesan.